Sunday, August 16, 2020

Xavier Lopez Performance #14A: Gus Was a Singing Ghost. When the Body Speaks. Performance Art. InArtsNW. Seattle, WA. 2017.


Gus Was a Singing Ghost.  

Gus Was a singing Ghost. When the Body Speaks. Performance Art. InArtsNW. Seattle, WA. 2017. When the Body Speaks. A Night of Performance Art by Xavier Lopez. Cast: Xavier Lopez, Grace Larenard, Basil Mayan, Girlgoth and Kaz. Supported by Artists Up - Grant Lab Award from Seattle Office of Arts & Culture, 4 Culture and Artist Trust. Music changed to adhere to copyright laws. Performance Art. InArtsNW. Seattle, WA. 2017.  Documented by Loren Herrera. 
 



The performance of myself dressed as a ghost and singing in front of a live audience, actually started as many of my performances do, by picking up the pieces of "discarded" performances--or more specifically, performances that I haven't gotten around to yet and which have morphed and mutated in the time since their first imagining.

In this case, Gus is a mixing of my continuing "Sheet Ghost" series of performances and a performance that I still intend to do some day, wherein I am dressed as the English band Depeche Mode's singer and Songwriter Martin L. Gore, standing outside Seattle's Pike's Public Market or some similar spot lipsynching to Depeche Mode songs for cash.  


The Sculptural Installation, "A Recreation of My Teen-Age Bedroom," Showing how autobiography plays throughout my entire oeuvre of artworks.



"Day-Dream Believer," Installation. Seattle, Ethnic Heritage Art Gallery, an installation, which like the recreation of my bedroom is made up of personal, autobiographical artifacts.




In this performance, I sang in front a live audience for the very first time, a song entitled "When The Body Speaks," A Grabbing Hands Sonnet.


Gus the Ghost is a continuing character throughout my sculpture and performance art.  When we were children we had three "ghost" imaginary friends.  
 
 

I had been working with the ideas of ghosts ever since I was an undergraduate at the University of Nevada, Reno in 1990, where I did a performance titled: Poltergeist. This was part of a solo exhibition I did at the Faire Gallery Cafe. The piece included sound and a looping video that can be accessed here: 


Soft Cyborg Video: Ghost Story



When the Body Speaks...All else is Hollow.  




What is beneath the sheet?


In the end, after the song, I pulled off the sheet, thus beginning the second act.



Gus the singing Ghost. When the Body Speaks. Performance Art. InArtsNW. Seattle, WA. 2017. A Night of Performance Art by Xavier Lopez. Cast: Xavier Lopez, Grace Larenard, Basil Mayan, Girlgoth and Kaz. Supported by Artists Up - Grant Lab Award from Seattle Office of Arts & Culture, 4 Culture and Artist Trust. Music changed to adhere to copyright laws. Performance Art. InArtsNW. Seattle, WA. 2017. Filmed by Loren Herrera.

No comments: