Sunday, August 16, 2020

Xavier Lopez Performance #13: "A Falling Piece" at Artist Up: Grant LAB Shout Out at Oxbow. 2017. Photography: Bruce Clayton Tom.


"A Falling Piece." Final Version. Artist Up: Grant LAB Shout Out at Oxbow. Original performance on 5/10/17. Photography: Bruce Clayton Tom. 


Influenced by the "Happenings" of Alan Kaprow and especially the "Dangerous" performances of Dick Higgens, when I was invited to Artist Up: Grant Lab Shout Out I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to do a performance "on the fly" as they call it and do a falling piece.  



The performance itself was extremely simple.  When I was called to give my presentation, I stumbled several times on my way to the top of the stairs where I was to speak about my artistic ouevre and to describe my plans for what I would be doing with the grant later in the year. 


I energized the space and like Dick Higgins was dedicated to go all in with the performance.


Stumbling...


and dragging myself up the stairs...


...



...and falling back down several times...


...refusing help...

Until I made it to the top.



Where I gave my presentation.  


In order a photodocumentation of the event, photographed by Bruce Clayton Tom. 2017.








No comments: