Sunday, August 30, 2020

Xavier Lopez Performance #19: Ghost Walk #1. 2019.



Ghost Walk #1. Directed by Xavier Lopez Jr. Videography by Girlgoth. SOUNDTRACK: Cue 1a - Sad-Beautiful-Emotive-Echo-Ghostly guitar alone (Something Broken Somewhere-Ascendent Remix) Soularflair.  



I love my ghosts!

Me too

Wait til you see the flying bear! He's huge! I feel like I am so on a roll!

What will you do with him?

Many, many things.  One will be a performance called Jesus Christ Sugarbear!  Where he sings I'm alive by ELO! 

Yes!!

Another is called, I can fly and he'll be held up by strings, wearing a little red cape. That's next month.
I'll wear him in a few performances.  And he'll also be a freestanding sculpture with a microphone stand telling stories. 




Funny! You've really got your creative juices flowing!

Basically, he's me. If I was cute and cuddly and everyone immediately loved me.  Me if I was a teddy bear, or even a ghost!  I love the fact that I am doing all the things I was always meant to do!

Yes. That's very important!  Big thoughts!  You have to follow your heart and dreams! 

Yes ma'am! The coolest thing about conceptual art is envisioning it exactly how it turns out and purely making ideas concrete.  It's closer to magic than painting.

Yeah. That's true!

And it confuses people because it looks so easy--and sometimes it is really easy to make, but it ies the processes of thinking that lays underneath.

You have alot of thoughts running around in that big brain 





A bit like what lies underneath the sheet of a ghost.

It is the temptation of looking up a woman's skirt when you are a young boy, you don't know what's up in there, but you really want to find out.

Haha..good way to put it

That's the attraction of the ghost, a mystery, a terror and a desire at the same time.

It will be interesting to see people's reactions. 





I wonder if they will give it the time, mentally, or whether they will just stay with their immediate reaction.  I like the way that these sculptures are also truly pop.  But also take things into conceptual territory. A mix of high and low.  Like Banksy at his best.

I like that you are truly engaged with your pieces, and invoke responses. 

Thank you, I really see them as forms of communication. But I have always hated just telling stories, I'm more interested in sharing ideas.  

Mr Lopez, what do you feel are barriers to the type of art you like to make?

At this point I don't actually see any barriers, what do you mean?

I wasn't sure if you had any ideas floating around that you cannot make come to fruition at the moment.. Be it financial, or the Seattle Art scene, etc..





For the last twenty years I have been working with Sheet Ghost installations, performances and sculpture. Beginning first with "performance art" in 1993, wherein I first used the "sheet ghost" in a significant way--I find the "ghost" to be an amazingly expressive means of dealing with many issues ranging from the extremely personal to themes of isolation and even more abstract ideas as was the case in the most recent installation I did for the Seattle Office Arts & Culture's "Dialogues in Art" series, wherein I dealt with issues of homelessness. In Hope/Home, the first installation with multiple figures, the sheet ghosts became stand-ins for my family as we dealt with a period of homelessness that we experienced when I was still very young. Over the course of several installations I have seen my process become increasingly narrative and more and more theatrical.



Ghost Walk #1 was the first of these more cinematic performances.  












No comments: