Thursday, September 10, 2020

Xavier Lopez Performance Art # 22: Performance From the Foot of my bed #2: Return of the Dum Dum Boy: "I'm Dying." 2020.


Perhaps my darkest and most personal performance so far, ressurecting the DUM DUM BOY, a character from my very first performance done way back in the 90's during one of the presentation night of Robert Morrison's Sculpture Class at the University of Nevada, Reno.   The Dum Dum Boy is pure ID with no superego to keep him in check. In this performance the Dum Dum Boy expresses the fear that we are all undergoing at this point in time.
 



I know that I had been reading about Gilbert and George and I'm pretty sure that I had discovered Joseph Beuys by this point. 


Joseph Beuys inspired sculpture from this same period.  Artistic theory, especially of those who were influenced by Marcel Duchamp was flowing through my work at this point, experimenting more and more with how to express my ideas through language, sculpture and performance!




This sculpture, I think it was called St. George and the Dragon: Christ and Satan, included references to Disney films and a painting lifted from a Gilbert and George book I had at the time. 



This drawing showed plans I have since the 2000's to reintroduce the Dum Dum Boy into my performances.  This one included trying to find a mask that approximated the one that I used at UNR, but which got destroyed making a sculpture in graduate school at UC Davis. 


The original mask from the Dum Dum Boy performance in 1991/2, was turned into this standing sculpture in graduate school. 




This proposal for an especially embarrasing moment for the Dum Dum Boy has yet to be performed.


Logo for the Dum Dum Boy 1992/2020.


Poster for Installation at UNR from April 1995.




Comparison between 1992 and 2020 Dum Dums.



Alternate, unmasked Dum Dum Boy.



Standing Dum Dum Boy 2020.



Close-up of Dum Dum Boy version 1 2020.



Scene from Performance From the Foot of my bed #2: Return of the Dum Dum Boy: "I'm Dying."



Scene from Performance From the Foot of my bed #2: Return of the Dum Dum Boy: "I'm Dying."




Planning notes for 2020 performance.


Like many performances this one ended up being a mix of more than one idea.  In this case the Dum Dum Boy mixed with another performance "I'm Dying," in which I was to repeat those words over and over, but which initially had nothing to do with the Dum Dum Boy. 



Performance From the Foot of my bed #2: Return of the Dum Dum Boy: "I'm Dying."







No comments: